- Korean Grand Prix
Korea still requires 'finishing touches'
Organisers of the Korean International Circuit have admitted that some of the finishing touches to the venue have not yet been completed.
On Tuesday the FIA's Charlie Whiting gave his approval for the race to go ahead after inspecting the final layer of the track, which had been laid the week before. But despite the circuit being ready for racing, there are still concerns about the surrounding infrastructure.
"We have now covered the standard requirements, and are 100% ready to host the race," a spokesman for organisers KAVO told the Korea Herald, but admitted: "Landscaping work to the surrounding area and parking lots still remains to be done. But we are finalising last-minute touches and can be ready on schedule."
The F1 teams' equipment and cars are already en route to the facility 320 kilometres south of Seoul, after leaving Japan at the weekend. There are some concerns about how the surface will hold up, having been laid just two weeks before the first F1 car hits the track.
"The only concern is the new asphalt," Nico Rosberg said.
However, Mercedes motorsport director Norbert Haug said he had faith in the FIA's judgement and believes the future is bright for Korea.
"Of course, everybody would have wished that this track is ready a little bit earlier but I'm sure there are good reasons for the delay. But if you look back, there was a lot of criticism sometimes of new tracks which are really good right now. I think Formula One developed in a very good way and of course Bernie (Ecclestone) was very much pushing in that direction, not the easiest way to go motor racing for the teams but if you are not growing, it's just wrong and I think it's the right approach, really.
Comparisons have already been drawn with the 1985 Belgian Grand Prix, which had to be postponed until the end of the season because of the track breaking up.