- Lotus
Palmer not envious of GP2 rival Nasr
New Lotus reserve driver Jolyon Palmer says he does not begrudge Felipe Nasr's elevation to F1 despite beating him to last year's GP2 championship.
Palmer wrapped up the GP2 crown with three rounds to spare last year while Nasr, who had been a distant challenger for much of the season, dropped to third behind Stoffel Vandoorne at the finale. Despite that Nasr secured a drive at Sauber for this year, thanks in part to sponsorship from Banco do Brasil, while Palmer had to settle for a reserve role at Lotus.
When asked if he looked at Nasr's position with any envy, Palmer told the official F1 website: "Particularly Nasr? No. I beat him last year, he has got a seat this year - there's nothing I can do about that. Some people get different opportunities, but I don't think about what other people can or can't do too much. I just have to focus on being the best I can be and hope I get rewarded if I do a good job. But I am envious of all grid in general, because those guys are all doing exactly what I want to do: race in F1."
The announcement he had joined Lotus came with the clarification Palmer would compete in a "significant number" of Friday practice sessions this season, something he says is vital for his development.
"That was the most important part of getting a deal together, because track time is so difficult to come by with nine teams and one car per test day. The number of people who have got relevant track time in a current F1 car is not high, so to secure that was definitely the best thing I could do. But I'll also be totally involved in a race weekend - I'll be in debriefs, talks with the engineers, team meetings and so on. Everything goes towards a better chance for the future really. Hopefully it will all make me a good candidate for a 2016 drive if opportunities come about."