McLaren delays 2015 driver announcement
McLaren has delayed the announcement of its 2015 driver line-up until December 1 at the earliest as it requires more time for "precise and prolonged analysis" of its options.
The team had previously said it would announce next year's line-up ahead of this weekend's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, with Fernando Alonso expected to be named alongside one of its current drivers. However, the decision over whether to keep 2009 champion Jenson Button or rookie Kevin Magnussen appears to be taking longer than expected.
"Selecting the optimal driver line-up for a Formula One team is clearly an important process, and it is therefore one that requires precise and prolonged analysis," the team said in a statement.
"That being the case, and in order to avoid distracting the race team from its primary objective during the final grand prix weekend of the season, which is to secure the best possible on-track results, we have decided to defer our final deliberations relating to our 2015 driver line-up until a date no earlier than Monday December 1."
The delay keeps the careers of both Button and Magnussen in limbo, with very few options available elsewhere on the 2015 grid.
If Button loses out he is likely to pursue a career elsewhere in motorsport and he has been linked to a move to the World Endurance Championship with one of the top LMP1 teams. Magnussen is more likely to stay focused on F1 following a promising but not perfect rookie season this year.