• May 12 down the years

The hills are alive with the sound of booing

What happened on this day in Formula One history?
Michael Schumacher gives Rubens Barrichello the winner's trophy © Sutton Images

One of the most controversial race results of all time saw Ferrari leave Austria's A1-Ring under a cloud despite taking a one-two finish. Rubens Barrichello had beaten his team-mate Michael Schumacher fair and square in the dominant Ferraris at the Austrian Grand Prix, only for his team to come over the radio and tell him to concede his victory. The team was booed by the crowds and on the podium Schumacher rather sheepishly tried to give Barrichello the winner's trophy and top spot on the podium. But the damage was already done and Ferrari was fined $500,000 by the FIA, which also banned team orders immediately. Barrichello later revealed that he had been threatened with losing his drive if he hadn't moved over. "I was told to think about my contract. For me that was an order: it is better for you to lift your foot, otherwise you are going to be going home.

Juan Pablo Montoya had his road-driving licence confiscated after being caught by the French police driving at 130mph in an 82mph speed limit. Montoya was driving on a motorway on the French Riviera on the way back to his Monaco home when he was pursued by police motorbikes and failed to stop immediately. He paid the fine on the spot and passed driving duties over to his wife Connie. Talking about incident later, he was far from repentant: "Who doesn't go at 200 clicks on those motorways? I tell you, that car does 240kph no problem. I was taking it easy. Connie and I had been chatting and she told me to go steady because there might be police about so I was only doing 200km/h. Anyway, after I paid the policeman, I just handed over to Connie and told her to drive."

Ayrton Senna won the Monaco Grand Prix with ease to take his fourth consecutive victory of the season, but it was the performance of birthday boy Stefano Modena that was most impressive. The Tyrrell driver had qualified on the front row, finding a surprising amount of grip from his Pirelli tyres, and lined up alongside Senna. The pair tore away in the lead, with Modena keeping Senna honest for the first 25 laps or so. He then got baulked by the Minardi of Pierluigi Martini, who received the first ever ten-second stop-go penalty for holding up another driver. But it was all in vain as on lap 30 Modena's Honda engine blew up in the tunnel spreading oil all over the track. The hard-charging Riccardo Patrese went full-pelt into the tunnel unaware of the incident and spun widely into the barriers and out of the race. This left Senna with a massive margin that he held comfortably until the end.

Raymond Sommer won the Marseille Grand Prix, the second race of the first season after the war. The event consisted of two heats and a final - Robert Mazaud won the first heat, with Sommer taking the second. Mazaud crashed on the first lap of the final, and Sommer went on to win by more than a lap from Enrico Platé. Tazio Nuvolari set the fastest time in the second heat, but his pre-war Maserati broke down soon after.

BAR accepted the FIA's decision to ban it from two races for illegally running fuel as ballast at the San Marino Grand Prix. The team had been using a second fuel tank, which it didn't drain during scrutineering and the weighing of the car, meaning it could effectively run under weight. After attacking the FIA's penalty in the immediate aftermath of the decision, BAR issued a statement accepting the judgement and admitting their understanding of the sport's minimum weight limit was wrong.

Roy Salvadori was born in Essex. The son of Italian parents, he started racing in 1947 and graduated to Formula One, making his debut in 1952 and competing regularly until 1962 for a succession of teams including Cooper, Vanwall, BRM, Aston Martin and Connaught. He also excelled in other formula, and in 1959 - with co-driver Caroll Shelby - won Le Mans for Aston Martin. In 47 F1 starts he managed only one podium, a third at the 1958 British Grand Prix, but he won non-championship races in Australia, New Zealand and England. In 1961 he was lying in second place at the US Grand Prix when his Cooper suffered an engine failure. At the end of 1962 he retired from F1 and stopped racing completely a couple of years later to concentrate on motor trading. He returned to the sport in 1966 to spend two years as manager of the Cooper-Maserati squad, and eventually retired to Monaco.

The Queen opened the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, the team's new multi-million pound base. "The McLaren Group is honoured and privileged that Her Majesty The Queen has officially opened our new headquarters," said team boss Ron Dennis. "The facility is a major functional tool to ensure that we remain at the forefront of British engineering and technology, whilst helping to strengthen and develop the McLaren brand."