- Sauber news
Heidfeld tipped to replace de la Rosa in Singapore
Nick Heidfeld has been tipped to replace Pedro de la Rosa at Sauber from the Singapore Grand Prix onwards, although team boss Peter Sauber refused to confirm the rumours on Sunday night.
The authoritative Blick newspaper, well-connected with Sauber, said Heidfeld will be driving alongside Kamui Kobayashi in Singapore and beyond. Heidfeld started the season as a test driver for Mercedes and is now one of the paddock's hottest properties for 2011 as he is the sole F1 test driver for new tyre supplier Pirelli.
When asked about the rumours, team boss Sauber refused to comment: "I am not talking about my drivers."
La Nueva Espana said that after de la Rosa's post-race media rounds in the Monza paddock, the 39-year-old was called for a meeting with the team's management. The report said the driver left the circuit immediately afterwards "with a scowl" and began his road journey back to his home in Zurich. "He did not answer his phone," it added.
After not appearing in the Spa paddock two weeks ago, Heidfeld was inconspicuously present at Monza over the race weekend. Kamui Kobayashi has already been confirmed at Sauber for 2011 but the team said it would announce its second driver at a later date.
Heidfeld drove for the BMW Sauber team last year and has spent seven seasons of his 11-year career at the Hinwill-based team.