• News

All pit-to-car radio eligible for broadcast

ESPNF1 Staff
July 23, 2010 « Schumacher confirms 2011 tilt | »
All pit-to-car radio will now be availible for broadcasters © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

All pit-to-car radio traffic during Formula One sessions will now be available for broadcast.

Recently, the sport's broadcasting officials gained access to the radio feeds, but the pit wall retained the ability to press a button to censor certain messages. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that, as of this weekend's Hockenheim event, all radio broadcasts will be eligible to for the worldwide television feed.

A short delay will mean that radio messages containing swearing can be edited. Australia's Mark Webber said at Hockenheim that if he had bookended his "not bad for a No.2" comment with colourful language at Silverstone, "maybe it would never have got run".

Also joking, Red Bull boss Christian Horner said Webber's comments had been the biggest lesson of the British Grand Prix. "Turn the radio off after the race," he said.

Mercedes' Ross Brawn, however, has warned that not allowing some control of the radio messages will lead to teams speaking "in code" about important strategic conversations.

A new approach is also being applied to in-race radio conversations between the FIA and the teams, due to the confusion in the wake of Fernando Alonso's illegal pass on Robert Kubica at Silverstone. Where previously, race director Charlie Whiting would make recommendations about the competitor's actions, an actual decision will now be made within 90 seconds and displayed to the team via the pit wall monitor.

Kubica said: "I would have given the place back without being asked - it is my way of thinking. There's no point taking the risk about what happened."

Close