- FIA World Motor Sport Council
No 13th team for 2011
None of the applicants to become Formula One's 13th team were successful, the FIA has revealed after a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris.
The FIA put the vacant grid slot up for tender earlier this year, after US F1 failed in its bid to join the sport before the start of the season. However, after a rigorous selection process none of the potential candidates made the grade.
"Following the press release of March 19, 2010 calling for expressions of interest to participate in the 2011 and 2012 seasons of the FIA Formula One World Championship, a number of interested parties expressed their interest," read an FIA statement. "It was considered that none of the candidates met the requirements to be granted an entry into the championship. Consequently, the allocation of the 13th team will not be granted."
The two strongest candidates to submit a full entry to the FIA were believed to be Epsilon Euskadi and Jacques Villeneuve's Durango-backed bid. Ahead of the rejection, Villeneuve said his team was already quite advanced in the hope of being accepted.
"We have a budget in place for the next three years, and the design of the car is going very well," the 1997 world champion said. "Phase 1 is nearing completion."
GP2 team ART withdrew its bid midway through the process, as did the American-based Cypher Group.