- Premier League
Wenger puzzled by Arsenal injury crisis
Arsene Wenger says he doesn't understand Arsenal's latest injury crisis with both captain Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey out of the upcoming games against Galatasaray and Chelsea.
The pair picked up knocks in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Tottenham with Jack Wilshere also suffering a new ankle injury.
Wenger orders extra corner practice
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal will be doing extra practice on taking corners in training.
- Arsenal had 15 corners altogether in the 1-1 draw against Tottenham at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, with only Ozil's second-half effort creating a chance when it found Per Mertesacker, whose header forced a smart save from Hugo Loris.
- One corner even drifted out for a throw-in on the other side, with Ozil taking nine, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Santi Cazorla and Alexis Sanchez all taking two each.
- Wenger admitted: "Yes, it's a concern. That we didn't have many shots on target isn't much of a concern, but with 15 corners we have to do more. That's an area we can make a big improvement. And that has to happen quite quickly.
- "If you go anywhere in the world and have 15 corners against you, the ball goes into the net. It's so difficult to defend if you deliver the ball properly.
- "On Monday we will be practising corners.
- "I must say Tottenham have lots of tall players. [Younes] Kaboul and [Jan] Vertonghen are tall, and defended very well."
Wenger says his medical team will be now be analysing the situation. "We have to really look at what happened," he said.
"There's no logic as it's two players who were not involved in the week - no Arteta, not Ramsey - and they had quite a light week for them. We have to analyse what happened there. I don't understand."
Calum Chambers, 19, looks likely to be used in midfield against Galatasaray in the Champions League to fill the void, but has been deputising for the injured Mathieu Debuchy at right-back and is one booking away from a suspension as well.
"He's been excellent in every position. And from the first to the last minute he has an unbelievable engine. He gets forward and puts crosses in as well," Wenger added.
"I would consider playing Calum there [in midfield]. But I only have four defenders at the moment. I don't know what I'll do yet. Give me a bit of time, but [Mathieu] Flamini is the only option I see at the moment.
"It was a very harsh yellow card against Tottenham, and the one before at Villa was very harsh as well. It's a shame you can't appeal globally for the cards you get.
"I thought he played well and I will tell him to keep playing his game. The fact that he's keen and committed maybe sometimes leads him to commit spectacular fouls."