- German Grand Prix
Nurburgring rules itself out of 2015 German GP
The German Grand Prix looks unlikely to go ahead at all in 2015 after the Nurburgring confirmed it cannot host the event scheduled to take place on July 19.
The Germany race has been in doubt since the calendar for 2015 was announced, with the venue initially listed as 'To Be Announced' due to ongoing financial troubles at the Nurburgring circuit. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone then said the race would be held at Hockenheim again this year, ending the alternating deal it has with Nurburgring which started in 2007.
But Hockenheim said this week it is unable to host the race, citing the lack of time to organise the event and low forecasted ticket sales. Nurburgring has confirmed it is in the same position and is now looking at hosting a non-F1 event over that weekend.
"We submitted an offer to Mr. Ecclestone but have so far not been able to come to an agreement," circuit spokesman Pietro Nuvoloni told NBC. "Seeing as no decision has been taken in the past weeks and months, we have come to the conclusion that for reasons of time, organization and economy, it does not make sense to wait any longer.
"The time slot during which it would have been economically viable to host a Formula One race at the Nürburgring is now closed. We deeply regret this. We would have liked to welcome the pinnacle of motorsport at the Nürburgring. In the interest of planning certainty for all parties involved, however, we have decided to make the July date reserved for Formula One available to another organizer."
If the German Grand Prix does not go ahead the calendar will shrink back down to 19 races.