• GP2, Hungarian Grand Prix, Race 2

Gutierrez eases to victory in Hungary sprint race

ESPN Staff
July 29, 2012
Esteban Gutierrez won his third race of the season in Hungary © Sutton Images

Esteban Gutierrez took a lights-to-flag victory in the GP2 sprint race at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday morning to take his third win of the season.

His lead never really looked under threat as Nathanael Berthon shadowed him home to second but struggled to close the gap to under a second. Championship leader Luiz Razia finished third but was a further 12 seconds down the road from the leaders after being held up behind Giedo van der Garde for the first 19 laps of the race.

Van der Garde was on the super-soft tyres whereas the long train of cars behind him were on mediums. The Caterham driver had the pace in the early part of the race to hold them off but his tyres gave up two thirds of the way through the race and he dropped to 10th by the finish.

Championship contender Davide Valsecchi had to pull a brave move around the outside of turn two to get past the Caterham for fourth and once he did the floodgates were open for the cars behind to find a way past. Joylon Palmer was one of them and he held on to fifth despite coming under pressure from James Calado on the final lap.

Calado finished the race strongly, passing Stefano Coletti on the penultimate lap as the Coloni driver, who had pushed hard earlier in the race while running fifth, dropped to ninth by the end. He was passed by both Rio Haryanto and Felipe Nasr on the final lap as the pair took advantage of Coletti's tortured rubber to finish seventh and eighth respectively.

The race ended on a bit of a sour note as Simon Trummer was pushed into the wall by Sergio Canamasas as they crossed the line. The incident will almost certainly be looked at by the stewards and a penalty at the next race is likely. Johnny Cecotto also caught the attention of the stewards as he ended his race trying an ambitious move on Fabio Onidi at turn five. Onidi was also involved in an incident at the start of the race that put Marcus Ericsson out of the race with broken suspension.