- UFC news
Jones v Henderson heading for September collision
Jon Jones v Dan Henderson is heading for a September 1 UFC card yet to be finalised, rather than UFC 149 as originally expected.
Jones's next light-heavyweight title defence will be against veteran Henderson, who won the 2011 Fight of the Year to justify his No. 1 contender status, once Jones had seen off Rashad Evans.
The bout had been tipped for UFC 149 on July 21, but now it is likely to be moved to the first day of September, with Jose Aldo v Erik Koch instead the headliner for UFC 149. UFC president Dana White confirmed on Thursday the switch is on the cards, although nothing if official.
Discussing the fight, White said: "The funny thing is, as soon as that [Jones v Evans] fight was over, on Twitter, everybody was going, 'Henderson will kill him, Henderson will kill Jon Jones.' That's what everyone were saying.
"Henderson is small, that dude is a pain in my ass, but I give him all the credit. He fights. He has a great chin, knockout power, good wrestling. He is tough."
As for Evans, who seemingly is at the back of the queue for another title shot following his loss to Jones, White insisted there is no need for the former champ to move to middleweight.
"I don't know [what is next for Evans]. We will get him back in there," White said. "The guy has been with us since 2005 and he's only lost two fights, against [Lyoto] Machida and Jon Jones.
"He made Jones look human. Jones did not go in there and destroy him."