• UFC news

Shogun requested later fight with Jon Jones

ESPN staff
August 27, 2012
Mauricio Shogun Rua lost his first bout against Jon Jones © Getty Images
Enlarge

Mauricio Shogun Rua's manager has revealed the Brazilian had been set to accept a rematch with Jon Jones, but had to reject the offer when it was revealed he would have a one-month training camp.

Jones' UFC light-heavyweight title was offered around following the withdrawal of Dan Henderson from UFC 151. In the end Vitor Belfort was the man to step up and fight the champion at UFC 152.

The path to that match-up saw Jones turn down Chael Sonnen, and then have Lyoto Machida shy away from a clash at UFC 152. Shogun's camp have now explained why he also rejected the September 22 date.

Unlike Belfort, Shogun had not been preparing for a fight at UFC 153, and therefore required a full eight-week training programme to be ready. The short window of preparation ahead of UFC 152 was simply not enough.

"We were in Sao Paulo and my phone rang about midnight," Julio Heller told Tatame. "It was Lorenzo's [Fertitta].

"He offered me a rematch against Jon Jones because Lyoto had declined it and asked me to give him an answer in ten minutes. I hung up and Mauricio was there with me.

"We talked and called Dida in Curitiba and we got to a conclusion we should accept the rematch, but only if Shogun had a couple of months to train and it would mean a fight later in October or in November. I said that to Lorenzo but he said there was no time because Jon Jones's fight is on September 22nd.

"Unfortunately, he couldn't give us this time but he understood.

"Mauricio accepted at the time the new fight against Jon Jones. The ideal is a three-month camp but he said yes to a two-month camp fight. He wants to fight Jon Jones and it sucks it won't happen now. But Mauricio's shot will come."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close