Mendes won't wait for Aldo to recover
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo now looks unlikely to fight challenger Chad Mendes later this year, with Mendes unprepared to wait for him to fully recover from a number of injuries.
Aldo is currently on medical suspension, as he recovers after a gruelling victory over Mark Hominick earlier this year. UFC president Dana White had previously suggested that Aldo could face Mendes as early as August, but the title holder's team now believe that is unrealistic.
"Jose is just resting right now and rehabbing a few small lingering injuries," Aldo's manager, Ed Soares told MMAjunkie. "He can't even resume training until May 30, so he's just working on getting back to 100 per cent.
"Whether it's Chad Mendes or any other top contender, Jose is competing against the very best opponents in the world, and he wants ample time to prepare. When you're the champion, everyone is gunning for you, and it's important to be 100 per cent."
Aldo added on Twitter: "Let me be clear, I'm not hurt again. I picked up a suspension from the Canadian Commission and therefore can only return to training on the 30th day this month."
"My fans I will not fight [at] UFC Rio because the UFC already has a fight for the title and they want to put me as the main event and not co-main."
Soares said Aldo is prepared to face Mendes later in the year, but the Team Alpha Male fighter is fully focused on an August fight, even if it is with a different opponent and not for a title.
"Chad is looking to fight Aug. 6, for sure," Mendes' manager, Mike Roberts, said. "We're not going to wait for Jose Aldo. Chad wants to fight. If Aldo can't fight, Chad will move on and fight somebody else.
"We never received a bout agreement. We were hoping to fight him [Aldo] then, but it doesn't appear that that's going to happen."