• Welterweight

Pacquiao laughs off Mayweather's $40m offer

ESPN staff
February 21, 2012

Manny Pacquiao has accused Floyd Mayweather Jnr of making him a financial offer that he knew would never be accepted.

The Pacquiao and Mayweather camps were in negotiations earlier this year, but no bout was arranged and the pair have moved on to different assignments: Mayweather meets Miguel Cotto on May 5, and Pacquiao takes on Timothy Bradley on June 9.

Mayweather has tried to stress that Pacquiao had no interest in taking the fight, which meant discussions were always going to prove futile - however, the Filipino has a different take on events.

"He talks, he says all this, but you know what: he doesn't want the fight," Pacquiao told Yahoo! Sports. "I want the fight. I'm the one who has wanted this fight all along.

"He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money]. No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million - not $40 million, $50 million - and said 'No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.' He wouldn't do it, either."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close