• Toro Rosso news

Ricciardo success puts pressure on Buemi

ESPNF1 Staff
November 23, 2010 « Sutil closing on Force India contract extension | »
Daniel Ricciardo during his two-day test with Red Bull last week © Getty Images
Enlarge

Toro Rosso's line-up for 2011 is under the spotlight despite it having signed youngsters Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari to continue for it.

But after the leading driver of Red Bull's current crop of up-and-comers - Australian Daniel Ricciardo - so impressed with his pace in the RB6 in Abu Dhabi last week, the rumours have again started.

Ricciardo's programme for 2011 has not yet been decided, but neither Ricciardo nor his boss Dr Helmut Marko are ruling out a move into Formula One.

"We pushed Bernoldi, Klien, Liuzzi and Speed without a breakthrough," Marko said. "Daniel Ricciardo is the next top talent. A new Vettel? I don't know."

Next year, Ricciardo - Red Bull's F1 reserve in 2010 and second in the Renault World Series - might have a chance to prove himself. When asked to assess the progress of Buemi and Alguersuari in 2010, Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost hinted that the 22-year-old Buemi has now had enough time to prove whether he belongs in F1.

"At the beginning of the season he scored points and had a really good level of performance. But at the end of the season he struggled a bit," Tost said, adding Alguersuari improved "step by step" and was "on the correct path".

When asked about driver continuity for 2011, Tost continued: "Well, you never know what will happen in Formula One. Our main priority is building a successful car. Regarding drivers and continuity, we will see."

Close