- European Tour
EurAsia Cup announced for new season
A new Ryder Cup-style match play event between Europe and Asia has been announced and will be included on the schedule for the 2014 European Tour schedule.
The EurAsia Cup, which will take place at Glenmarie Golf & Country Club in Malaysia from March 28 to 30, will feature ten of Europe's leading players take on a team from Asia over three days of mixed formats.
If the European team was selected today…
- Henrik Stenson (1st in Race to Dubai standings)
- Graeme McDowell (2nd in Race to Dubai standings)
- Justin Rose (3rd in Race to Dubai standings)
- Matteo Manassero (5th in Race to Dubai standings)
- Rory McIlroy (4th in world rankings)
- Luke Donald (11th in world rankings)
- Lee Westwood (13th in world rankings)
- Ian Poulter (17th in world rankings)
The selection process will see the top four players from the season-ending Race to Dubai rankings automatically qualify for the European team, followed by the top four players from the Official World Golf Rankings on February 3, 2014 not already qualified via the Race to Dubai.
The team will be made up with two captain's picks.
The Asian team will use a similar system, but will take four players from the Asian Tour Order of Merit, three players from the world rankings and three wildcards.
Both captains are yet to be announced.
The announcement of the tournament means there will be 18 tournaments played outside of Europe in the 2014 European Tour season and becomes the third match play event involving Europe on the Tour calendar, following the Ryder Cup and the biennial Seve Trophy, which began in 2000 and is contested between teams from Great Britain and Ireland, and Continental Europe.